Thursday, July 3, 2008

keeping cinema alive in traverse city

I know I keep posting about the film festival, etc. in Traverse City but I just can't express how happy I am to have good films where I live. Moving from Dallas to Detroit was hard enough because I only found 1 arthouse in Detroit as opposed to the 3 or more in Dallas (that I knew of). Then, we moved to Traverse City (considered the BIG city in northern Michigan- population under 20,000!). They had 2 movie theaters here, each with only 8 screens and very old so no comfy, rocking seats that I had become accustomed to :) Never an independent film...Then, the magnificent, wonderful Michigander, Michael Moore decided to bring good films up to Traverse City. YEA! Now, the restored State Theatre plays awesome movies. AND, he wants to keep old cinema alive and affordable so we were able to go see these fun kids' shows today for a whopping 75 cents (that's a quarter per person)!
The Flinstones
jetsons
yogi pic

AND next week, Lyra & I are super excited to go see
Elphaba and Dorothy
It's playing all week!!!

Thank you, Mr. Moore. You've brought my passion back to me.

1 comment:

La Bonne Vie - The House of Brodt said...

VERY cool! I'd love to see the Wizard of Oz on the big screen!